The work of all Faculties of Education has a direct bearing on society and its future. We are proud to suggest that for the Faculty of Education at the University of Alberta, the Dare to Discover vision statement is aligned with our ongoing efforts and achievements in scholarship, teaching, and community collaboration, wherein social responsibility is paramount. We recognize that education encompasses much more than the transmission, storage and retrieval of information, and our professional education programs are transformative in nature, promoting critical thinking, creativity, curiosity, and caring.
Annual Reports - Committees and Centres
Councils and committees of the Faculty of Education are required to submit annual reports to the Faculty of Education Council each Fall.
All Centres of the University of Alberta are required to submit an annual report to the Vice President (Academic). For information purposes, the Faculty of Education Centres also submit their report to Education Faculty Council each Fall.
Available annual reports for 2015 - 2016 are presented below. Reports from past years can be reviewed by contacting Betty jo Werthmann at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Academic Appeals Committee
- Centre for Global Citizenship Education and Research (CGCER)
- Centre for Mathematics, Science and Technology Education (CMASTE)
- Centre for Research in Applied Measurement and Evaluation (CRAME)
- Centre for Research for Teacher Education and Development (CRTED)
- Diversity Equity and Respect Committee
- Election Committee Annual Report
- Faculty Teaching Awards Committee
- Field Experiences Policy Advisory Committee (FEPAC) Annual Report
- Graduate Academic Affairs Council (GAAC) Annual Report
- HT Coutts Library Advisory Committee
- Institute for Sexual Minority Studies and Services (iSMSS)
- JP Das Centre on Developmental and Learning Disabilities
- MES Advisory Board Annual Report
- Scholarship and Research Awards Committee (SARAC) Annual Report
- Undergraduate Academic Affairs Council (UAAC) Annual Report
- Western Canadian Centre for Deaf Studies (WCCDS)
While Education Faculty Council is the Faculty’s governing body, there are a number of sub-councils, elected, and appointed committees that report directly to it. As well, there are advisory bodies that report directly to the Dean.
- Faculty of Education Committee Structure
- General Terms of Reference
- Roster of Committees & Representatives
For further information, please contact Betty jo Werthmann, Governance Administrator, email@example.com
The Diversity Equity and Respect (DER) Committee was created in 1991 as a result of the Report of the President's Commission for Equality and Respect on Campus. The report made several recommendations on how to improve inclusiveness at the University of Alberta which included provisions such as improving University policies so that they included sections on respect and equality. The committee meets several times a year in order to ensure that the recommendations of this report continue to be implemented as well as act as a mechanism to find new ways of creating a campus which respects diversity and offers a climate of inclusiveness and equitable treatment.
Education Faculty Council is established as the governing body of the Faculty of Education under Section 28(1) of the Post-Secondary Learning Act. Faculty council powers and compositions are set out in Section 28(1) and 29(1) of the Act. Further authorization concerning faculty council powers, compositions and quorums is outlined in GFC Sections 55.1, 55.3 and 55.5.
Presented below are Faculty Council minutes from the current and most recent years:
- Faculty Council Minutes - 2016
- Faculty Council Minutes - 2015
- Faculty Council Minutes - 2014
- Faculty Council Minutes - 2013
- Faculty Council Minutes - 2012
To access previous minutes and further information concerning Faculty Council, contact Betty jo Werthmann, Governance Administrator, firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view Faculty Evaluation documents, such as Faculty Agreement, Criteria for the Evaluation of Academic Staff, Procedures Governing Tenure and Promotion click here.
For further information regarding FEC please contact Betty jo Werthmann at email@example.com or 492-2261.
Graduate Academic Affairs Council minutes are presented to Faculty Council for information of Council members. At the stage of the motion to receive such minutes, any member of Faculty Council may question or challenge an action. A majority vote at Faculty Council to bring the question or challenge to Faculty Council at the next Council meeting for consideration would provide opportunity for review of a sub-council's decision.
The work of the Technology Advisory Board is suspended until further notice.
Undergraduate Academic Affairs Council is responsible for matters related to undergraduate teacher education and diploma programs.
Undergraduate Academic Affairs Council minutes are presented to Faculty Council for information of Council members. At the stage of the motion to receive such minutes, any member of Faculty Council may question or challenge an action. A majority vote at Faculty Council to bring the question or challenge to Faculty Council at the next Council meeting for consideration would provide opportunity for review of a sub-council's decision.
- Membership List
- Terms of Reference
- Meeting Schedule
- UAAC Minutes - March 9, 2017
- UAAC Minutes - January 26, 2017
- UAAC Minutes - 2016
- UAAC Minutes - 2015
- UAAC Minutes - 2014
- UAAC Minutes - 2013
Faculty Evaluation Documents
- Faculty Agreement
- Criteria for the Evaluation of Academic Staff - 2015 Update
- Procedures Governing Tenure and Promotion 2010
- Conflict of Interest and Conflict of Commitment Sample Scenarios
- Conflict of Interest and Conflict of Commitment Disclosure Report for Academic Staff
- Reference Manual for Faculty Evaluation Committees - 2015 Update
Please contact Betty jo Werthmann at firstname.lastname@example.org or 492-2261 for all inquiries regarding FEC.
Policies and Procedures
- Academic Selection Procedures
- Space Booking Guidelines
- Contract Instructors Policies & Procedures
- Listserve Protocol - Office of the Dean
- Selection/Review Procedures for Department Chairs
For further information, please contact Betty jo Werthmann at email@example.com
Undergraduate Program Review